Welcome to another addition of The Modern Christian Ezine.
In this edition of The Modern Christian we'll look at some aspects of Christian marriage. Is it really as hard as everyone makes it out to be?
Christian marriage is a beautiful institution of the Lord that was meant to help every man and woman. However, when it's actually played out in today's society, many people allow it to hurt them. They don't know what they're doing and as a result, they get divorced or live in pain for years.
Today's world is becoming more and more difficult for married couples. It's almost as if divorce is becoming the norm. People who stay together for years are all of a sudden deciding that they don't need their spouse anymore. Regardless if it is a function of "midlife crisis" or not, Christian marriage ain't what it used to be.
The truth is, marriage is a beautiful thing that can make you more fulfilled than you ever could be alone. However, making it work can be tough.
Making it work is going to require some work on your part. It's not always going to be a walk in the park (although you might find yourself walking through the park alone after a few arguments). If you're willing to make it work, there are a number of things that can help.
The most important thing that you can do as a spouse is to realize that there are certain things that are important to your significant other. Just because you are excited about the "big game" doesn't necessarily mean that she is. The priority list for men and women is usually quite different.
For example, some of the most important things for a woman are:
1. Attention- A woman loves for her man to shower her with attention.
2. Affection- A woman loves for her man to actually show her some affection. Remember what it was like when you first fell in love and try to recreate that.
3. Listening- As obvious as this sounds, most men just don't do it. A woman relates talking to partnership. While a man needs sexual things, a woman needs to talk to her partner. It may seem random and emotional from time to time, but it is essential for a woman.
Now some of the man's most important things:
1. Sex- There's really no getting around this one. While women like this part of a relationship too, it's usually no contest. It is a man's number one need.
2. Recognition- A man loves to hear great things from his wife. He loves to hear how much she appreciates his hard work. He loves to have his ego stroked from time to time.
3. Attention- Men love it when their wife puts down the book they're reading or turns off the TV and asks them about their day. Although they don't always act like it, they really do like someone taking an interest in them.
Notice any differences between what men and women require? While this is by no means a definitive list, these are some pretty good guidelines for any Christian marriage. If a man made the mistake of thinking that sex was the most important thing for a woman, he would probably find hiimself sleeping on the couch or in the doghouse.
If a woman thought that a man just wanted to talk all the time instead of getting down to business, then she would find herself on one side of a shouting match.
By the way, Christians having sex is not a bad thing. Many Christian people feel that sex is wrong, etc. However, God created sex for the husband and wife to enjoy. It is a wonderful thing and if you're not enjoying it as a couple you should really
check this out
. It will change your marriage.
Christian marriage is not rocket science. It's about loving your spouse and doing everything in your power to make it work. Make them feel special and they will return the favor.
Hopefully this will help you in your walk this week. Regardless of what comes at you, stay strong. God is in control.
The Modern Christian.com